Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pear Crisp

After being introduced to this Paradise of a produce market by a friend I ended up buying an 8-pound bag of pears which sat on my counter. And sat. And sat. And continued sitting until my resolution to no longer waste food kicked in and I ravaged the internets for a good pear crisp recipe.



Soooooo delicious. The nutmeg was cruelty though, because now all I can think of is making gingersnaps until I pass out. Oh winter baking, how I miss thee...

Pear Crisp:

5 pears, peeled, cored, sliced
1/2 cup brown sugar
½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix pears, lemon juice, brown sugar, and vanilla; pour into a greased 8x8 baking pan. In a large bowl, mix flour, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together. In a separate bowl, beat together melted butter and egg; add to flour mixture and stir until it forms a strudel-like consistency. Cover pears with floury mixture and bake 30 minutes until top is golden brown.

Serves 4-6.

No comments: