Saturday, February 7, 2009

Saffron French Fries



These are stars of my youth. The first time my father made these, I remember glaring at him and cursing him for withholding these from me until my 11th or 12th year of age, all while jamming as many in my mouth as I possibly could at one time.

When I was feeling particularly difficult, I would order my mother into the kitchen and oversee the potato cooking process like a nervous addict in need of her fix.

And now that I’m an adult, I can spoil myself with saffron French fries whenever I darn well please.



Because they’re insultingly easy you know. Ovens are helpful like that. You can also fry these in light oil in a frying pan, but I've just lost too many shirts to oil spots to continue that. Besides, think of how many pages of reading you can NOT do while these are cooking in the oven!




Saffron French Fries:

2 yukon gold potatoes, washed well (russet also work fine)
1 tbsp oil (vegetable, olive, whatever)
3 tbsp Saffron-infused water
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

Slice potatoes into wedges. Coat with remaining ingredients and spread over a baking sheet.

Bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway to ensure even browning (if you’re lazy like me and just care about fries, leave ‘em alone and they’ll be fine).

I serve these with a yogurt dip that 98% of the people I know won’t touch. But if you’re the rare plain yogurt lover or if you were raised under one of those cultures that raise babies on Abali yogurt instead of milk (joking, joking), you’ll love this. Because you probably eat plain yogurt out of the container for fun. You weirdo. Pass me a spoon.

1-2 heaping tablespoonfuls of plain yogurt
½ tsp lemon juice
½ tsp dill weed
And you’ve got a dip.

Serves two.

--Jirafa

No comments: