Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beef Egg Rolls



My first attempt making egg rolls. Fraught with imperfections but overall satisfying.



I used a filling of ground beef, egg, bean sprouts, cabbage, and carrot with oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper for additional flavoring. I think that with some onion thrown into the mix it would have been even better.



First fold.



Second fold.



Finished products.



I don’t have any fancy schmancy deep-frying equipment. In fact, I don’t even have a thermometer! So this was all done very crudely and carefully to insure no oil fires were started.



I did end up with two little burns though (I’ll spare you the pictures) that were immediately treated with honey and don’t hurt a tad now. Yes, good thing to know. Honey is an antiseptic and works well to ease the pain of burns!


The filling amounts I used weren’t enough to utilize all of the wrappers but it was a good test batch.

I served them with a side of soy sauce although I’m sure sweet and sour sauce is the preferred choice for many people.

Beef Egg Rolls

1 lb ground beef
1 lb large egg roll wrappers
2 carrots, thinly sliced
3 cups cabbage thinly sliced
2 cups bean sprouts
2 eggs
3 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup water

In a wok or large frying pan, brown beef 2-3 minutes. Add vegetables and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and eggs, mixing thoroughly. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Fill wrappers according to package instructions, sealing the end flap with cornstarch mixture.

Fry at 350 degrees, turning occasionally until golden brown. Set on paper towel to drain.

Serve with sauce of choice.

--Jirafa

1 comment:

Dining Alone said...

They look pretty darn good to me! I didn't know about honey to treat burns so thanks for that info!!