Saturday, June 6, 2009

Spicy Veggie Pasta



Over the past few months I’ve moved away from jarred sauces because they taste too sweet (and contain way too much sugar) and end up being too heavy and rich for my palate.

Canned tomatoes are so much cheaper than pre-made sauce and just as easy to use. Not to mention they create a nice, light sauce that’s still flavorful without being overbearing. Those of you whose pasta is invisible under the mountains of red—you know who you are. Feel ashamed.

Sometimes I want to put a spoon in a jar of sauce and hand it to these people (I have them in my life, and I do judge).

But I digress. Try this, please pretty please?

Spicy Veggie Pasta:

½ lb rotini pasta (shells would also be lovely, I think)
½ small yellow onion
1 zucchini
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp basil flakes
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/3 cup chicken stock
½ tbsp red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

Cook pasta per package directions. In a medium pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil OR coat pan with olive oil cooking spray. Add onions and allow to cook for 1 minute. Then add your zucchini and garlic; cook for 3 minutes. Add in mushrooms last and cook until mushrooms are soft and brown, about 4 more minutes.

In the meantime, drain your pasta and set the pot back on medium heat. To this pot add tomatoes, chicken stock (white wine or vegetable stock might substitute), basil, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. When the vegetables are done, add them to the sauce and mix well. Allow sauce to heat through; about 4 minutes. Add pasta to sauce, season with salt, and serve. Top with parmesan cheese.

Serves 3.

--Jirafa

2 comments:

El Conejo Real said...

Jirafa!!!!! I just found your email on my gmail account which has remained unchecked for decades!!!! Proud of your blog! Hope you don't mind me stealing some recepies hahahah

Jirafa said...

Kiwi! I would be honored!