Friday, April 3, 2009

Spicy Dirty Rice


This is one of my favorite recipes to pull out of my hat every once and awhile. It makes a LOT of food that can easily be stored and converted into lunches. I first saw this on the Neeley’s Food Network show and made my own changes.

I find it superb.



Look at all those savory ingredients in a happy row. Mmmmmm.

Spicy Dirty Rice:

4-5 cups cooked rice (REPLACE THE WATER WITH CHICKEN STOCK DURING COOKING TIME)
½ medium yellow onion, diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cajun sausage links, sliced (I use Aidell’s)
2 cups chicken stock

Brown sausage in a large pan over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp oil and throw in all the diced vegetables plus garlic. Cook for 5-6 minute, stirring occasionally. When vegetables are bright and onions translucent, add cooked rice and 2 cups of chicken stock.

For drier rice, allow the chicken stock to cook off a bit, stirring frequently. For wetter rice, cook for 1-2 minutes after adding stock and then take off the heat.

Season with salt and pepper!

Serves 4-6

--Jirafa

No comments: